Place:


Hickling  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hickling like this:

HICKLING, a village and a parish in Tunstead district, Norfolk. The village stands 1 mile N by E of Hickling-Broad, 2½ WNW of the nearest part of the coast, 9¾ ESE of North Walsham r. station, and 16 N E of Norwich; and has a post office under Norwich. The parish comprises 4, 334 acres. ...


Real property, £6, 698. Pop., 767. Houses, 181. The property is much subdivided. Hickling-Broad is a lake of about 400 acres, with a depth of rarely more than 4½ feet; and is navigable, for small vessels, to the Thurne and the Bure. Much of the land is marshy. A priory of Black canons was founded here, in 1185, by Theobald de Valentia; and given, at the dissolution, to the Woodhouses. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £253. Patron, the Rev. J. N. Micklethwait. The church is ancient, in tolerable condition; and has a lofty embattled tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a village school with a small endowment, and poors' lands worth about £50 a year.

Hickling through time

Hickling is now part of North Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hickling itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hickling in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2288

Date accessed: 27th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hickling ".