Place:


Inverie  Inverness Shire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Inverie like this:

Inverie, an estate, with a mansion and a hamlet, in Knoydart district, Glenelg parish, W Inverness-shire. The mansion, on the northern shore of Loch Nevis, 10 miles SSE of Isle Oronsay, and 54 WSW of Fort Augustus, was built and inhabited by the late Colonel Macdonell of Glengarry, the last of the Highland chiefs, and within and without is a curious structure, in the old Celtic style. It is now the property of John Baird, Esq. of Kuoydart. The hamlet, near the mansion, has a post office under Broadford, an inn, and a public school.

Inverie through time

Inverie is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Inverie itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Inverie, in Highland and Inverness Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22879

Date accessed: 18th April 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Inverie ".