Place:


Hempnall  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hempnall like this:

HEMPNALL, a village and a parish in Depwade district, Norfolk. The village stands 3V miles NE by E of Long Stratton, and 4 ESE of Florden r. station; was formerly a market town; and has now a post office under Long Stratton, and fairs on Whit-Monday and 11 Dec. The parish comprises 3, 636 acres. ...


Real property, £7, 806. Pop. in 1851, 1, 258; in 1861, 1, 094. Houses, 254. The property is much subdivided. Hurdles and hoops are largely made. An ancient burial ground, British and Anglo-Saxon, was discovered in 1854; and some urns were taken from it to the British museum. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £359. Patron, T. T. Mott, Esq. The church is ancient; has a square tower; and was recently repaired. There are a national school, and charities £48.

Hempnall through time

Hempnall is now part of South Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hempnall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hempnall in South Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2286

Date accessed: 22nd January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hempnall ".