Place:


Hermitage  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hermitage like this:

HERMITAGE, a chapelry in Hampstead-Norris parish, Berks; 4¼ miles NNE of Newbury r. station. It was constituted in 1840; and it has a post office under Newbury. Pop., 434. Houses, 95. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £135.* Patron, the Marquis of Downshire. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a free school.

Hermitage through time

Hermitage is now part of West Berkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Berkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hermitage itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hermitage in West Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22856

Date accessed: 29th July 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hermitage ".