Place:


Wilsey  Oxfordshire

 

The location is where the name "Wilsey" appears on the earliest OS 6 inch map ('England - Oxfordshire: 033', Ordnance Survey 1:10,560 - Epoch 1 (1887). URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/mapsheet.aspx?compid=55133&sheetid=6740&zm=2&x=46&y=339&ox=2930&oy=1320 Date accessed: 23 January 2011). The location also fits the statement that "The personal name Wifel has survived in Wilsey, a meadow in Marston parish near the south-west corner of Water Eaton" (Janet Cooper, "Four Oxfordshire Anglo-Saxon Charter Boundaries", Oxoniensia, vol. 50 (1985), p.20). Wilsey was described by the 1881 census as "Land locally situated between the parishes of Marston St. Giles and Kidlington".

Wilsey through time

Wilsey is now part of Oxford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Oxford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wilsey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wilsey, in Oxford and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22801

Date accessed: 18th February 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wilsey ".