Place:


Trawden  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Trawden like this:

TRAWDEN, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Whalley parish, Lancashire. The village stands 2¼ miles ESE of Colne r. station, and has a post-office under Colne. The township includes Winewall hamlet; and comprises 2,510 acres. Real property, £6,687. Pop. in 1851, 2,601. in 1861, 2,087. ...


Houses, 426. The decrease of pop. was caused by scarcity of employment for hand-loom weavers. The property is much subdivided T. House is the seat of Mrs. Pilling.—The chapelry was constituted in 1845, and is less extensive than the township. Pop., 1,516. Houses, 309. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150.* Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1845. There are three dissenting chapels, and a national school.

Trawden through time

Trawden is now part of Pendle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Pendle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Trawden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Trawden, in Pendle and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/228

Date accessed: 14th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Trawden ".