Place:


Sholing  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sholing like this:

SHOLING, a tything and a chapelry in Hound Parish, Hants. The tything lies on the Southampton and Netley railway, 3¼ miles ESE of Southampton; and has a r. station. Real property, with Woolston, £5,190. The chapelry was constituted in 1866; and has a post-office, of the name of Sholing-Common, under Southampton. Pop., not separately returned. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, not reported. Pa tron, the Bishop of W. The church was built in 1866.

Sholing through time

Sholing is now part of Southampton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Southampton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sholing itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sholing, in Southampton and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22730

Date accessed: 14th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Sholing".