Place:


Rishton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rishton like this:

RISHTON, a village and a township in Blackburn parish, Lancashire. The village stands near the East Lancashire railway and the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 3½ miles N E by E of Blackburn; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office‡ under Blackburn. The township contains also the hamlet of Tottleworth, and comprises 2, 760 acres. ...


Real property, £6,044; of which £1, 128 are in mines and £231 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 800; in 1861, 1, 198. Houses, 215. The manor belongs to H. Petre, Esq. There are a large cotton factory, a large reservoir, collieries, and fire-brick works.

Rishton through time

Rishton is now part of Hyndburn district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hyndburn has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rishton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rishton, in Hyndburn and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/227

Date accessed: 29th March 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rishton ".