Place:


Loxwood  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Loxwood like this:

LOXWOOD, or LOXWOOD-END, a hamlet in Wisborough-Green parish, Sussex; on an affluent of the river Arun, and on the Arun and Wye canal, 8 miles W by N of Horsham r. station. It has a post office, of the name of Loxwood, under Horsham, and a fair on 6 May; it is a resort of sportsmen; and it has a chapel of ease, and ranks as a chapelry, annexed to the vicarage of Wisborough-Green, in the diocese of Chichester. Pop., 218.

Loxwood through time

Loxwood is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Loxwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Loxwood, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22667

Date accessed: 21st June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Loxwood".