Place:


Little Chester  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Little Chester like this:

CHESTER (Little), a township in St. Alkmund parish, Derbyshire; on the river Derwent and the Leeds railway, ½ a mile N of Derby. Real property, £2, 545. Pop., 431. Houses, 95. The Roman station Derventio was here; Roman roads went hence to Chesterton and Manchester; and many Roman coins and other relics have been found.

Little Chester through time

Little Chester is now part of Derby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Derby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Little Chester itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Little Chester, in Derby and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22530

Date accessed: 07th March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Little Chester ".