Place:


Lee Ward  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lee Ward like this:

LEE-WARD, a township in Rothbury parish, Northumberland; 3 miles SE of Rothbury. Acres, 1,793. Pop., 86. Houses, 23. The manor belongs to the Duke of Northumberland. Much of the surface is open moor.

The location is that marked on modern and historic maps as "The Lee". The identification with "Lee Ward" comes from GENUKI (http://bpears.co.uk/genuki/NBL/Rothbury/Maps.html, accessed 14/1/2011), but broadly fits the location given by the Bartholomew and Imperial gazetteers.

Lee Ward through time

Lee Ward is now part of Alnwick district. Click here for graphs and data of how Alnwick has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lee Ward itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lee Ward, in Alnwick and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22524

Date accessed: 26th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lee Ward ".