Place:


Layton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Layton like this:

LAYTON-WITH-WARBRECK, a township in Bispham parish, Lancashire; on the coast and on the Blackpool railway, 2½ miles SW of Poulton-le-Fylde. It contains the town of Blackpool. Acres, 3, 241; of which 840 are water. Real property, £17, 246; of which £150 are in gas works. Pop. in 1851, 2, 564; in 1861, 3, 907. Houses, 761. The manor belongs to J. T. Clifton, Esq. Knowle is the seat of Lord Edward F. Howard.

Layton through time

Layton is now part of Blackpool district. Click here for graphs and data of how Blackpool has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Layton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Layton, in Blackpool and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22522

Date accessed: 24th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Layton ".