Place:


Taransay  Inverness Shire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Taransay like this:

Taransay, an island of Harris parish, Outer Hebrides, Inverness-shire, off the entrance of West Loch Tarbert, 1¼ mile W of Harris mainland, and 3½ miles NE of Toe Head, at the N side of the W entrance of the Sound of Harris. It measures 4½ miles in length from NE to SW, and 3 miles in extreme breadth; comprises two peninsulated hills, 750 feet high, and a connecting narrow sandy isthmus; consists mainly of gneiss rock, traversed by veins of granite, and very scantily covered with soil; and affords to its inhabitants little means of support except facilities for fishing. ...


Pop. (1861) 55, (1871) 68, (1881) 55.

Taransay through time

Taransay is now part of Eilean Siar district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eilean Siar has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Taransay itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Taransay, in Eilean Siar and Inverness Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22423

Date accessed: 27th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Taransay ".