Place:


Shandon  Dunbartonshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Shandon like this:

Shandon, a place in Row parish, Dumbartonshire, on the E shore of the Gare Loch, 4½ to 5½ miles NW of Helensburgh. It has a Free church, a steamboat pier, and a post and telegraph office under Helensburgh. Its name (Gael. sean-dun,' old fortress') is derived from the 'Old Dun,' traces of which are still visible. ...


West Shandon, a fine Elizabethan edifice of two stories, with a lofty turreted tower, was commenced in 1851 as the seat of Robert Napier, Esq. (1791-1876), the great marine engineer. After his death its splendid collection of art treasures was sold in London; and the mansion itself was converted into a hydropathic establishment, being enlarged by the addition of Turkish and swimming baths, etc. The grounds are of great beauty, with their winter garden and artificial ponds, and the view from the house is singularly fine.—Ord. Sur., sh. 30, 1866.

Shandon through time

Shandon is now part of Argyll and Bute district. Click here for graphs and data of how Argyll and Bute has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shandon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shandon, in Argyll and Bute and Dunbartonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22421

Date accessed: 25th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shandon ".