Place:


Balloch  Dunbartonshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Balloch like this:

Balloch (Gael. bealach, ` a pass '), a village in Bonhill parish, Dumbartonshire, on the left bank of the Leven, here spanned by a suspension-bridge (1842) leading to Balloch station, which, as junction of two sections of the North British, is 30¼ miles WSW of Stirling, ½ mile SSE of Balloch pier on Loch Lomond, 1¼ N of Alexandria, and 20½ miles NW of Glasgow. The village has an excellent hotel; and a cattle fair is held at it on 17 April, a horse fair (one o the largest in Scotland) on 15 Sept. Pop. of registration district (1881) 2925.

Balloch through time

Balloch is now part of Moray district. Click here for graphs and data of how Moray has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Balloch itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Balloch, in Moray and Dunbartonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22413

Date accessed: 23rd January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Balloch ".