Place:


Winchfield  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Winchfield like this:

WINCHFIELD, a parish, with a village, in Hartley-Wintney district, Hants; on the Basingstoke canaland the Southwestern railway, 9 miles E by N of Basingstoke. It has a head post-office,‡ a wharf, and a r. station with telegraph. Acres, 1,543. Real property, £1,877. Pop., 329. Houses, 65. W. house is the seat of G. Barnbridge, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £247.* Patron, Lady St. John Mildmay-The church is Norman and early English, in good condition.

Winchfield through time

Winchfield is now part of Hart district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hart has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Winchfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Winchfield, in Hart and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2241

Date accessed: 13th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Winchfield".