Place:


Allanton  Berwickshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Allanton like this:

Allanton, a village in Edrom parish, Berwickshire, situated at the confluence of the Blackadder and Whitadder, both spanned by bridges here, and 2¼ miles E of Edrom station on the Dunse branch of the North British. It has a school, with accommodation for 95 children, an average attendance (1879) of 34, and a grant of £28:¾ mile S by E is a Free church, with 450 sittings. Blackadder House, Allanbank, and Chirnside Bridge paper-mill are also near.

Allanton through time

Allanton is now part of Scottish Borders district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scottish Borders has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Allanton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Allanton, in Scottish Borders and Berwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22385

Date accessed: 19th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Allanton ".