Place:


Dalcross  Inverness Shire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Dalcross like this:

Dalcross, a ruined castle in the united parish of Croy and Dalcross, NE Inverness-shire, 2 miles SE of Dalcross station on the Highland railway, this being 6¾ miles N E of Inverness. Built by the eighth Lord Lovat in 1621, it afterwards passed to the M `Intoshes, whose nineteenth chief, Lachlan, lay here in state from 9 Dec. ...


1703 till 18 Jan. 1704, when 2000 of the Clan Chattan followed his remains-scanty enough, one would fancy-to their last resting-place in Petty church. Here, too, the Royal troops were put in array immediately before the battle of Culloden. Dalcross stands high (362 feet above sea-level), and commands a continuous view from Mealfourvonie to the Ord of Caithness; it consists of two square, lofty, corbie-gabled blocks, joined to each other at right angles. See Croy.

Dalcross through time

Dalcross is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dalcross itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dalcross, in Highland and Inverness Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22367

Date accessed: 14th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dalcross".