Place:


Carnach  Ross and Cromarty

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Carnach like this:

Carnach, a quoad sacra parish in Contin, Fodderty, and Urray parishes, S Ross-shire, comprising a secluded Highland valley, 14 miles long and only 1/6 mile broad. Its post-town is Beauly, 20 miles distant. The population, in 1830, was 1056, but, in consequence of the introduction of sheep-farming, it fell to 711 in 1836, to 325 in 1871, and to 296 in 1881. ...


Most of the inhabitants are either small tenants or shepherds. Carnach is in the presbytery of Dingwall and synod of Ross. Stipend, £120, with manse and glebe. The church was built in 1830, chiefly at the expense of Government, and contains 320 sittings.

Carnach through time

Carnach is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Carnach itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Carnach, in Highland and Ross and Cromarty | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22365

Date accessed: 17th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Carnach ".