Place:


Barjarg  Dumfries Shire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Barjarg like this:

Barjarg, a hamlet and an estate in Keir parish, Dumfriesshire. The hamlet stands near the river Nith, 3½ miles S of Thornhill. The estate belonged in the 16th century to the Earl of Morton; passed in 1857 to T. Grierson, Esq.; went afterwards, by marriage, to C. Erskine, Esq., advocate, who rose to the bench and took the title of Lord Tinwald; was subsequently purchased by Dr Hunter, professor of divinity in Edinburgh University, and now belongs to Wm. ...


Francis Hunter Arundell, owner of 1947 acres in the shire, valued at £1689 per annum. The mansion, Barjarg Tower, stands amid finely-planted grounds.

Barjarg through time

Barjarg is now part of Dumfries and Galloway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dumfries and Galloway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barjarg itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barjarg, in Dumfries and Galloway and Dumfries Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22351

Date accessed: 17th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barjarg ".