Place:


Banton  Stirlingshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Banton like this:

Banton, a village in Kilsyth parish, Stirlingshire, 2½ miles NE by E of Kilsyth town. It has a post office under Denny, and it is inhabited principally by colliers and ironstone miners. Low Banton hamlet lies ½ mile to the S, and ¼ further SSE is a chapel of ease, erected in 1880 into the church of a quoad sacra parish. A public school, with accommodation for 173 children, had (1879) an average attendance of 165, and a grant of £153,11s. 11d. Pop. of quoad sacra parish (1881) 793.

Banton through time

Banton is now part of North Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Banton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Banton, in North Lanarkshire and Stirlingshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22343

Date accessed: 10th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Banton ".