Place:


Banavie  Inverness Shire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Banavie like this:

Banavie, a village in Kilmallie parish, Argyllshire, near the Inverness-shire border, and on the W bank of the Caledonian Canal, 1¼ mile E by N of Corpach pier on Loch Eil, and 3½ miles NNE of Fort William; 7 furlongs to the N rises Meall Bhanabhie (Gael. ` hill of the dear water ') to a height of 1071 feet. ...


The landing-place for passengers by the canal, Banavie communicates by omnibus with Corpach; it has a post and telegraph office under Fort William, and an excellent hotel, the Locheil Arms, which commands an imposing view of Ben Nevis. A public school, erected in 1876 at a cost of £1400, with accommodation for 96 children, had (1879) an average attendance of 61, and a grant of £56,16s. 4d.

Banavie through time

Banavie is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Banavie itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Banavie, in Highland and Inverness Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22341

Date accessed: 23rd October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Banavie ".