Place:


Ballochney  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Ballochney like this:

Ballochney, a village and a railway of N Lanarkshire. The village stands adjacent to the N side of Airdrie, in New Monkland parish, and is within the municipal boundaries of Airdrie burgh.-The railway joins on the W the Garnkirk and Glasgow railway, on the E the Slamannan railway; was formed b ...


etween 1826 and 1840, on a capital of £70,000; in 1848 was amalgamated with the Monkland system; comprises a main line of about 3 miles from W to E, and branches of 3 miles more to several collieries and to Airdrie; serves largely for the coal and ironstone traffic of that rich mining district; and includes two beautiful self-acting inclined planes, each 1100 yards long, the first works of their kind, on any great scale, ever constructed in Scotland.

The location is based on that of Ballochney Street on modern maps of Airdrie, and the description given by Groome.

Ballochney through time

Ballochney is now part of North Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ballochney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ballochney in North Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22338

Date accessed: 10th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ballochney ".