Place:


Archiestown  Moray

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Archiestown like this:

Archiestown, a village in Knockando parish, Elginshire, 6½ miles SW of Rothes, and 2¼ NNE of Carron station on the Strathspey section of the Caledonian. Founded in 1760, and partly burned in 1783, it now consists of a main street, a square, and several lanes, and it has a post office under Craigellachie (4 miles E by N), a U.P. church, and a General Assembly school, which, with accommodation for 90 children, had (1879) an average attendance of 59, and a grant of £52,4s. 6d. Pop. (1861) 174, (1871) 338, (1881) 374.

Archiestown through time

Archiestown is now part of Moray district. Click here for graphs and data of how Moray has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Archiestown itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Archiestown in Moray | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22335

Date accessed: 17th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Archiestown ".