Place:


Eilean An Tighe  Ross and Cromarty

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Eilean An Tighe like this:

Ellan-na-Kelly or Ellan-an-Tighe, the southern one of the three Shiant isles, in the Outer Hebrides, in the Minch, 5 ¼ miles SE of Ushenish Point in Lewis, and 22 ½ S by E of Stornoway. It connects with Garv-Ellan by a neck of rolled pebbles, covered only at a concurrence of spring tide and tempestuous wind; and is 1 mile long, whilst varying in width from 1 to 2 ½ furlongs. ...


Its basaltic rock presents some columnar masses similar to those of Ulva and Staffa; and its tumulated but verdant surface affords rich sheep pasture. It appears to have anciently been the seat of a monastery or hermitage, whence it took its name, signifying the ` island of the cell; ' and it still possesses some ruins which look to have been ecclesiastical.—Ord. Sur., sh. 99, 1858.

Eilean An Tighe through time

Eilean An Tighe is now part of Eilean Siar district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eilean Siar has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Eilean An Tighe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eilean An Tighe, in Eilean Siar and Ross and Cromarty | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22311

Date accessed: 24th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Eilean An Tighe ".