Eilean Nan Ron  Sutherland


In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Eilean Nan Ron like this:

Ellan-nan-Ron (Gael. ` seal island '), an inhabited island of Tongue parish, N Sutherland, to the E of the entrance to the Kyle of Tongue, 5 ½ miles NNE of Tongue church. Measuring 1 mile by 61/2 furlongs, and rising to a height of 247 feet above the sea, it is parted on the NW by a narrow channel from Ellan-Iosal ( ½ mile x 2 1/3. ...

furl.; 171 feet), and is girt with high precipitous rocks, deeply channelled on the N side by narrow fissures. On the N side, too, is a noble natural arch, 150 feet high and 70 wide; whilst towards the middle of the island is a large round hole, which is supposed to communicate with the sea by a natural tunnel. The fissures of its cliffs are swept, with great violence, by winds impregnated with saline matter, and, leaving deposits of salt, so are used, without any artificial appliance of salt, for curing fish.—Ord. Sur., sh. 114, 1880.

Eilean Nan Ron through time

Eilean Nan Ron is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Eilean Nan Ron itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eilean Nan Ron, in Highland and Sutherland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 22nd May 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Eilean Nan Ron".