Place:


Duror  Argyll

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Duror like this:

Duror, a hamlet and a quoad sacra parish in Lismore and Appin parish, Argyllshire. The hamlet stands on the right bank of Duror rivulet, and on the road from Oban to Fort William, within 1 mile of the shore of Loch Linnhe, and 5 miles WSW of Ballachulish. At it are a post office, an inn, a public school, the Established church (1826; 323 sittings), and St Adamnan's Episcopal church (1851; 100 sittings). ...


Fairs are held here on the Saturdays before the last Wednesdays of May and October. A capital trout-stream, the rivulet Duror rises at an altitude of 1800 feet, and runs 6 miles west-north-westward and west-south-westward to the head of Cuil Bay. The quoad sacra parish is in the presbytery of Lorn and synod of Argyll; the stipend is £120, with manse and glebe. Pop. (1881) 492.—Ord. Sur., sh. 53, 1877.

The location is that of the Duror Inn, and is near that named as Duror on modern 1:25,000 maps.

Duror through time

Duror is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Duror itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Duror, in Highland and Argyll | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22301

Date accessed: 22nd October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Duror ".