Place:


Torwood  Stirlingshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Torwood like this:

Torwood, a village in Dunipace parish, Stirlingshire, 2¼ miles NNW of Larbert station. To the S are the ruins of Torwood Castle, supposed to have been built by one of the Baillies about the middle of the 16th century, and surrounded by the Torwood, a remnant of the ancient Caledonian Forest. ...


The true ' Wallace Oak ' here is gone for ever, though a shoot of it was thriving so late as 1835. The so-called ` Wallace Oak ' in the Carbrook policies cannot be more than 300 years old; but an old thorn near it was very possibly the identical tree beneath which Donald Cargill excommunicated Charles II., Sept. 1680 (Trans. Highl. and Ag. Soc., 1881, p. 204).—Ord. Sur., sh. 31, 1867.

Torwood through time

Torwood is now part of Falkirk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Falkirk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Torwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Torwood, in Falkirk and Stirlingshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22290

Date accessed: 17th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Torwood ".