Place:


Torrance  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Torrance like this:

Torrance, an ancient parish of W Lanarkshire, annexed to East Kilbride in 1589. Torrance House, near the left bank of the Rotten Calder, 2 miles SE of East Kilbride village, in its oldest part dates from the 14th century, but has been added to at different times. Its owner, Rt. Edward Stuart Harington-Stuart, Esq. (b. 1834; suc. 1879), holds 2274 acres in the shire, valued at £2681 per annum. The Tor, ¼ mile to the W, is an artificial mound, 160 yards round the base, and 20 of ascent-Ord. Sur., sh. 23, 1865.

Torrance through time

Torrance is now part of South Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Torrance itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Torrance in South Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22286

Date accessed: 21st October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Torrance ".