Place:


Stonefield  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Stonefield like this:

Stonefield, a thriving seat of industry and population in Blantyre parish, Lanarkshire, 2½ miles NW of Hamilton and 8 ¼ SE of Glasgow, under which it has a post office. Its Established chapel of ease was founded in 1878, and contains 900 sittings. Pop. (1871) 395, (1881) 4511, of whom 2164 were in Stonefield proper, 331 in Baird's Rows, 1321 in Dixon's Rows, and 695 in Springwell.—Ord. Sur., sh. 23, 1865.

Stonefield through time

Stonefield is now part of South Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stonefield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stonefield in South Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22278

Date accessed: 16th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stonefield ".