Place:


Staffin  Inverness Shire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Staffin like this:

Steinscholl, a hamlet in Kilmuir parish, and a quoad sacra parish, partly also in Snizort parish, Isle of Skye, Inverness-shire. The hamlet, called sometimes Staffin, lies on the E coast of Trotternish peninsula, near the head of Staffin Bay, 18 miles N of Portree. It has a post office (Staffin) under Portree, and an inn. ...


The quoad sacra parish, consisting principally of the ancient parish of Kilmartin, which now is united to Kilmun., was constituted by the ecclesiastical authorities in 1833, and reconstituted by the Court of Teinds in 1847. It is in the presbytery of Skye and the synod of Glenelg; the stipend is £120, with a manse and a glebe worth jointly £16 a year. The parochial church was built by Government, and contains 350 sittings. Pop. of q. s. parish (187l) 1228, (188l) 13l4, of whom 17 were in Snizort.

Staffin through time

Staffin is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Staffin itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Staffin, in Highland and Inverness Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22275

Date accessed: 21st June 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Staffin ".