Place:


Rullion Green  Midlothian

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Rullion Green like this:

Rullion Green, a place in Glencorse parish, Edinburghshire, on the eastern slope of the Pentland Hills, 1¾ mile NNW of Penicuik. On the evening of 28 Nov. 1666, it was the scene of the defeat of 900 Covenanters, under Col. Wallace, by Sir Thomas Dalyell of Binns; and a monument is supposed to mark the site of the battle. Dr Hill Burton, however, remarks that 'neither the spot itself, nor any part of the Pentlands close to it, corresponds with the description of the ground taken by Wallace-a ridge running N and S, and rising abruptly on the N end.,-Ord. Sur., sh. 32, 1857.

The location is that marked, somewhat illegibly, on the OS New Popular map, but also as confirmed on modern 1:25,000 maps.

Rullion Green through time

Rullion Green is now part of Midlothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how Midlothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rullion Green itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rullion Green in Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22263

Date accessed: 18th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rullion Green ".