Place:


Plockton  Ross and Cromarty

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Plockton like this:

Plockton, a village in Lochalsh parish, Ross-shire, on the S side of the lower part of Loch Carron, 4 miles W by S of the Strome Ferry terminus of the Dingwall and Skye railway, and 6½ NNW of Balmacara. It ranks as a burgh of regality, engages extensively in fishing, and has a post office, a Government church, a Free church, and a public school. The Government church has the status of a quoad sacra parochial church, but has not assigned to it any definite territory. Pop. (1861) 539, (1871) 516, (1881) 440.

Plockton through time

Plockton is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Plockton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Plockton, in Highland and Ross and Cromarty | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22252

Date accessed: 09th March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Plockton ".