Place:


Pitscottie  Fife

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Pitscottie like this:

Pitscottie, a hamlet in Ceres parish, Fife, on the right bank of Ceres Burn, 1½ mile NE of Ceres village and 3 miles ESE of Cupar. It takes its name, signifying the 'little hollow,' from its position between two confronting rising-grounds at the entrance to Dura Den; and two flax spinning-mills were erected at it in 1827. ...


A 'countrie hous covered with strae and ried,' which stood on a small adjoining plateau, now occupied by the modern farmstead of Pitscottie, was the residence of Robert Lindsay, author of the quaint Chronicles of Scotland from 1436 to 1565. Pitscottie Moor, in the immediate neighbourhood, was a frequent meeting-place of the Covenanters for field preachings; and is named in a decree of 1671 against certain ousted ministers.—Ord. Sur., sh. 41, 1857.

Pitscottie through time

Pitscottie is now part of Fife district. Click here for graphs and data of how Fife has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pitscottie itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pitscottie in Fife | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22251

Date accessed: 21st May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pitscottie ".