Place:


Muir of Ord  Ross and Cromarty

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Muir of Ord like this:

Ord or Muir of Ord, the southern part of the Mullbuie, Ross-shire, near the boundary with Inverness-shire. It is traversed by the public road from Inverness to Tain, and by the Highland railway, with the station of Muir of Ord, 3 miles N of Beauly; is the scene of great cattle, sheep, and horse markets, usually denominated the markets of Beauly; has a tabular or flat surface, and a sandy soil; contains two ancient standing-stones, said to commemorate a great clan fight; and adjoins a tract on the E containing a very large number of ancient Caledonian cairns and stone circles. ...


Ord House, 1¼ mile W of the station, is the seat of Thomas Mackenzie, Esq. (b. 1797; suc. 1821), who holds 21, 229 acres in the shire, valued at £2460 Per annum.—Ord. Sur., sh. 83, 1881.

Muir of Ord through time

Muir of Ord is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Muir of Ord itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Muir of Ord, in Highland and Ross and Cromarty | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22232

Date accessed: 12th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Muir of Ord ".