Place:


Mossend  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Mossend like this:

Mossend, a town in Bothwell parish, Lanarkshire, 7 furlongs E by N of Bellshill, 1 ¼ mile W of Holytown, and 4 ¼ miles S by E of Coatbridge. Of recent origin, it has a station on the Caledonian railway, a post and telegraph office, extensive iron and steel works, public and Roman Catholic schools, and a fine new Roman Catholic church, erected in 1883-84 from designs by Messrs Pugin. Pop. (1871) 1501, (1881) 3030, of whom 1701 were males. Houses (1881) 531 inhabited, 23 vacant.—Ord. Sur., sh. 31, 1867.

Mossend through time

Mossend is now part of North Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mossend itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mossend in North Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22228

Date accessed: 23rd January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mossend ".