Place:


Lugton  Midlothian

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Lugton like this:

Lugton, a village in Dalkeith parish, Edinburghshire, on the left bank of the North Esk, 3½ furlongs W by N of the centre of Dalkeith town. Lugton barony, which was annexed to Dalkeith parish so late as 1633, had anciently a baronial fortalice, and belonged to a branch of the family of Douglas, but was possessed in 1693 by Anne, Duchess of Buccleuch.—Ord. Sur., sh. 32, 1857.

Lugton through time

Lugton is now part of Midlothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how Midlothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lugton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lugton in Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22214

Date accessed: 17th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Lugton".