Place:


Longhope  Orkney

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Longhope like this:

Longhope, a hamlet and a sea-loch or long bay in Walls and Flotta parish, Hoy Island, Orkney. The hamlet, lying on the sea-loch, 18 miles SW of Kirkwall, has a post office under Stromness, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments. The sealoch, opening from the south-western extremity of Scapa Flow, opposite Flotta Island, is sheltered across the entrance, at the distance of about 1 mile, by Flotta and Switha. ...


Penetrating the southern district of Hoy Island, so as to cut that island into a large main body and a small peninsula, it extends 37/8 miles west-south-westward to within 3 furlongs. of the Pentland Firth, and is separated, at its south-eastern extremity, by an isthmus only 200 feet broad from Aith Hope Bay. With a breadth of from 3 furlongs to 1¼ mile, it forms a splendid natural harbour, perfectly sheltered from every wind.

The location is that shown for Longhope on modern 1:50,000 maps.

Longhope through time

Longhope is now part of Orkney Islands district. Click here for graphs and data of how Orkney Islands has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Longhope itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Longhope in Orkney Islands | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22209

Date accessed: 13th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Longhope".