Place:


Kilcoy  Ross and Cromarty

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Kilcoy like this:

Kilcoy, a hamlet in Killearnan parish, SE Ross-shire, 8 miles WNW of Inverness. It has a cattle fair on the Monday in May after Amulree. The lands of Kilcoy, lying around the hamlet and along the Beauly Firth, were acquired in 1618 by Alexander Mackenzie, fourth son of the eleventh Baron of Kintail, and now belong to his eighth descendant, Sir Evan Mackenzie, second Bart. ...


since 1836 (b. 1816; suc. 1845), who holds 24, 658 acres in the shire, valued at £7258 per annum. Kilcoy Castle, now a ruin, was the birthplace of the distinguished Lieutenant-General Alex. Mackenzie Fraser of Inverallochy, who died in 1809. A cairn, to the N of the ruined mansion, is encompassed with circles of standing stones, and is one of the largest cairns in the N of Scotland.—Ord. Sur., sh. 83, 1881.

Kilcoy through time

Kilcoy is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kilcoy itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kilcoy, in Highland and Ross and Cromarty | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22176

Date accessed: 26th February 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kilcoy ".