Place:


Gorgie  Midlothian

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Gorgie like this:

Gorgie, a village in St Cuthbert's parish, Edinburghshire, near the right side of the Water of Leith, 1 ¼ mile SSW of Murrayfield station. It has a post office, with savings'bank department. A tannery called Gorgie Mills adjoins it; and Gorgie House, Gorgie Mains, and Gorgie Park are in its vicinity. Pop. (1871) 428, (1881) 656.

Gorgie through time

Gorgie is now part of Edinburgh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Edinburgh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gorgie itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gorgie, in Edinburgh and Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22170

Date accessed: 27th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gorgie ".