Lewannick  Cornwall


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lewannick like this:

LEWANNICK, a village and a parish in Launceston district, Cornwall. The village stands on the river Inny, 5 miles SW of Launceston r. station; and has a post office under Launceston. The parish comprises 4,000 acres. Real property, £4,325. Pop. in 1851, 747; in 1861,685. Houses, 138. The decrease of pop. ...

arose from the stoppage of mining, and from emigration. The property is much subdivided. Trelaske House is the seat of the Archers. Good building-stone, a very hard slate stone, and a fine vari-coloured freestone, for mantelpieces and ornamental work, are quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £242. * Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is early English, not in good condition; has a lofty pinnacled tower; and contains monuments of the Lowers and the Archers. A chapel to Minster priory was formerly at Pollyfont. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Bible Christians, and a national school.

Lewannick through time

Lewannick is now part of North Cornwall district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Cornwall has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lewannick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lewannick in North Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 02nd October 2020

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lewannick ".