Place:


Howgate  Midlothian

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Howgate like this:

Howgate, a village in Penicuik parish, Edinburghshire, 1¾ mile SSE of Penicuik town and 11 miles S of Edinburgh. It has a U.P. church, rebuilt in 1855, a public school, and copious waterworks, opened in May 1872. From Howgate, be it remembered, came ' Rab' and his two best friends.—Ord. Sur., sh. 32, 1857.

Howgate through time

Howgate is now part of Midlothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how Midlothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Howgate itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Howgate in Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22157

Date accessed: 25th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Howgate ".