Place:


Hilton  Berwickshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Hilton like this:

Hilton, an ancient parish in Merse district, SE Berwickshire, united in 1735 to Whitsome. The church, on a small hill, 13/8 mile E by N of Whitsome church, was once adjoined by a hamlet, taking from the site the name of Hilton or Hilltown; and is still represented by a disused burying-ground.

Hilton through time

Hilton is now part of Scottish Borders district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scottish Borders has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hilton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hilton, in Scottish Borders and Berwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22154

Date accessed: 30th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hilton ".