Place:


Glenbuck  Ayrshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Glenbuck like this:

Glenbuck, a village amid the hills of Muirkirk parish, E Ayrshire, within 7 furlongs of the Lanarkshire border, and near a station of its own name on the Douglasdale branch of the Caledonian, 3 ½ miles ENE of Muirkirk town. It has large coal and lime works, a post office under Lanark, a public school, and an Established chapel of ease (1881). ...


Near the station are two reservoirs - the Upper (5 ¾ x 2 furl. ) and the Lower (4 x 1 furl.). They were formed about 1802 to furnish waterpower to cotton works at Catrine. The House of Glenbuck is a mansion of recent erection, the seat of Charles Howatson, Esq. of Glenbuck. Pop. of village (1851) 237, (1871) 311, (1881) 858.—Ord. Sur., shs. 23, 15, 1865-64.

Glenbuck through time

Glenbuck is now part of East Ayrshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Ayrshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Glenbuck itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Glenbuck in East Ayrshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22132

Date accessed: 27th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Glenbuck ".