Place:


Gilchrist  Ross and Cromarty

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Gilchrist like this:

Kilchrist, an ancient parish of SE Ross-shire, now annexed to Urray. Its ruined church, a little N of the Muir of Ord, adjacent to the boundary with Inverness-shire, was the scene in 1603 of the merciless burning of a whole congregation of the Mackenzies by the Macdonells of Glengarry, whose piper marched round the building, mocking the shrieks of its hapless inmates with the pibroch since known, under the name of 'Kilchrist,' as the family tune of the Clanranald of Glengarry.—Ord. Sur., sh. 83, 1881.

Gilchrist through time

Gilchrist is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gilchrist itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gilchrist, in Highland and Ross and Cromarty | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22128

Date accessed: 09th March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gilchrist ".