Place:


Garscadden  Dunbartonshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Garscadden like this:

Garscadden, an estate, with a mansion and a village, in New Kilpatrick parish, Dumbartonshire. Held by successively the Flemings, the Erskines, and the Galbraiths, the estate passed about 1664 to the Campbell Colquhouns of Killermont. The mansion, standing 1¾ mile WSW of Bearsden station and 3 miles WNW of Maryhill, is remarkable for a castellated Gothic gatcway, larger and more imposing than any similar structure in the W of Scotland. ...


The work of a fanciful architect near Paisley, named Charles Ross, this gateway was formerly embellished with fantastic ornaments, and much visited by pedestrians from Glasgow and Paisley as a nine-days' wonder; and, though now stripped of its ornaments, is still somewhat of an architectural curiosity. Pop. of the village (1871) 602, (1881) 649.-Ord. Sur., sh. 30, 1866.

Garscadden through time

Garscadden is now part of East Dunbartonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Dunbartonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Garscadden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Garscadden in East Dunbartonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22118

Date accessed: 25th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Garscadden ".