Place:


Cury  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cury like this:

CURY, a parish in Helston district, Cornwall; on the coast, 4¾ miles S by E of Helston, and 11½ SSE of Gwinear-Road r. station. It has a post office under Helston, Cornwall, and fairs on 3 Feb. and 3 Aug. Acres, 2, 845; of which 75 are water. Real property, £2, 719. Pop., 517. ...


Houses, 116. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Bochyms, the Mohuns, the Bellots, and others. The rocks include serpentine. Roman coins have been found. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Gunwalloe, in the diocese of Exeter. Value and patron, not reported. The church has Norman parts, but is not good. There are chapels for Wesleyans and the Wesleyan Association.

Cury through time

Cury is now part of Kerrier district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kerrier has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cury, in Kerrier and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2211

Date accessed: 30th October 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cury ".