Place:


Newton Grange  Midlothian

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Newton Grange like this:

Newton-Grange, a village in Newbattle parish, Edinburghshire, 5 furlongs ESE of Dalhousie station, and 2 miles S of Dalkeith. Founded about 1830, it has made such progress as to become the chief seat of population in the parish, and has a post office under Dalkeith; a costly school, erected by the Marquess of Lothian; infants' and girls' schools of 1884; and a suite of gasworks (1873) for the supply of all the Newbattle estate. Pop. (1861) 787, (l871) 677, (1881) 1010-Ord. Sur., sh. 32, 1857.

Newton Grange through time

Newton Grange is now part of Midlothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how Midlothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newton Grange itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newton Grange in Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22085

Date accessed: 17th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Newton Grange".