Place:


Crosshouse  Ayrshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Crosshouse like this:

Crosshouse, a village in Kilmaurs parish, Ayrshire, on Carmel Water, 2½ miles W of Kilmarnock, and 1 mile SSW of Crosshouse station. At it is the handsome Established church (1882; 450 sittings) of a quoad sacra parish, formed out of Kilmaurs and Dreghorn, and also a public school. Coal has long been wrought in the vicinity, and ironstone during the last 12 or 13 years. Pop. of village (1861) 468, (1871) 713, (1881) 631; of q.s. parish (1881) 2424.

Crosshouse through time

Crosshouse is now part of East Ayrshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Ayrshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Crosshouse itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Crosshouse in East Ayrshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22066

Date accessed: 14th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Crosshouse".