Place:


Cousland  Midlothian

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Cousland like this:

Cousland, a village in Cranston parish, Edinburghshire, 3½ miles ENE of Dalkeith, under which it has a post office. It was burned by the Protector Somerset in 1547, at the time of the battle of Pinkie. A chapelry of Cousland was annexed to Cranston parish about the era of the Reformation; its chapel stood on the SW side of the village, and has left some remains.

Cousland through time

Cousland is now part of Midlothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how Midlothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cousland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cousland in Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22058

Date accessed: 14th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cousland".